These stuffed peppers are easy & tasty!
– 3 bell peppers (I use 1 each of yellow, orange and red)
– 1.25 lbs extra lean ground turkey (Jennie-O)
– 1/2 large onion, chopped
– Olive oil
– 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– Salt & pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon each, or to taste)
– 4 Roma Tomatos
– 1/4 cup tomato paste
– 4 slices of whole wheat bread, graded (or purchase prepared bread crumbs and use 1 cup)
– Cheese of choice (optional)
1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and discard seeds. In a large saucepan, boil peppers for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, saute onion in olive oil until golden/tender. Add ground turkey, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly, until meat is cooked through (no longer pink). Remove from stove and pour out any excess liquid.
3. Add tomato paste, bread crumbs and tomatoes to mixture and stir until mixed well.
4. Spoon into pepper halves and place in a baking pan. Sprinkle with paprika. Add cheese (optional) here if you plan to eat them straight out of the oven, otherwise save it for when you reheat them in the microwave.
5. Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees, for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and peppers are tender.
Yield: 6 servings (1/2 pepper)
230 Calories, 2g Fat, 28g Protein, 25g Carb, 4g Fiber